There are lots of reasons I don’t always eat as well as I should. I would not consider myself a fad diner, but I do enjoy trying new dining experiences. I was first introduced to Blue Apron (no affiliate for this bitty blog) by one of my roommates from college. She had gotten a discount off her first box and said in total it was about $5 or $6/meal. When I saw what it came with, I was intrigued. About a year later when I started working full time, I was looking for different meal-time solutions and thought I’d give this a try. Here’s what happened.
What you get:
Full color photo recipe card with instructions
Box full of the exact ingredients
Average cost per meal: $9-10/ serving
|This was my favorite!|
- I loved the service.
- I got to try new recipes and new foods (e.g. farro, Brussels sprouts, fennel).
- It makes dining an experience from the comfort of your own home.
- Can easily be made into a fun hang and cheaper than a group cooking class, again in the comfort of your own home.
- Easily shareable meal wins on social media or even group text.
- You can try new recipes on their website without even signing up for the service; it’s like a cheat sheet. And they have food prep videos. I highly recommend!
- It’s pretty affordable for the convenience of having a recipe and ingredients picked out, itemized, and shipped to your home.
- You can stop or pause it anytime.
- It may not be for regular use for everyone, but I think it’s a fun seasonal idea to jump start any new lifestyle changes related to eating better.
- I’ve tried a couple other meal delivery services, and the Blue Apron recipes are a bit more sophisticated so I can appreciate that. Well done, you!
- Other: You can pick preferred ingredients or exclude some ingredients, like meat or wheat and you get a preview of weeks of recipes in advance to better prepare. Also, they’re usually running some sort of first time user special so you can try the service at a discount.
- Cons: I didn’t like all the chopping; it’s soothing sometimes but annoying after a late shift. Plus, it’s still cooking…so there’s that.
- Overall, I’d give it a try again, but if it came with a chef, I’d be more keen! 👍